My sense of the novella is that of a rapturously extended prose poem driven by a narrative; the more suspenseful the narrative, the more dreamlike and obsessive the atmosphere of the novella.
Henry James described the novella as the ‘blessed form.’ It is also a very difficult, even hazardous form, neither a novel in miniature nor a pumped-up short story, but something quite distinct, if indefinable.
—Joyce Carol Oates, “On the Composition of I Lock My Door Upon Myself”
- Evil Eye: Four Novellas of Love Gone Wrong / 2013
- The Rescuer / 2012
- Patricide / 2012
- A Fair Maiden / 2010
- Rape: A Love Story / 2003
- Beasts / 2002
- First Love: A Gothic Tale / 1996
- Zombie / 1995
- Black Water / 1992
- The Rise of Life on Earth / 1991
- I Lock My Door Upon Myself / 1990
- The Triumph of the Spider Monkey / 1976